- 2 lb(s) pork butt roast
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp(s) salt
- 1 tsp(s) oregano
- 2 tsp(s) cumin
- 2 4- oz cans diced mild green chiles
- 1 cup(s) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp(s) cilantro, chopped
- 2 stick(s) butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 cup(s) flour
- 2 egg white, beaten
Tips and Suggestions
These are fabulous served with a green tomatillo salsa.
1. Place pork in a large pot and cover with water. Add 1/2 onion, 1/2 garlic, salt, oregano, and 1/2 cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, until pork is easy to shred. While pork is cooking, prepare dough.
2. When pork is done, shred with a fork. Add remaining onion, garlic and cumin to taste. Mix in green chilies, cheddar cheese and cilantro.
Empanadas Dough Recipe
1. Mix butter and cream cheese together.
2. With a pastry cutter, cut in 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
3. Chill for 15-30 minutes before rolling.
4. On lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough to make a 4-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in the center of the dough circle. Brush edges of dough with water. Fold dough over filling. Pinch edges together. Crimp with fork to seal.
5. Brush empanadas with egg whites and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.