- 1 cup(s) lukewarm water
- 2 pkg(s) active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1 stick(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 5 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp(s) salt
1. If you have a kitchenAid, use it! It will make the process go more quickly. In your mixer bowl, add water, 1 tsp. sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for several minutes. Add butter, 2 of the eggs and salt; stir or set your mixer on medium, using your knead hook.
2. Add 4 of the cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, and stir in or set your mixer on low and scrape the sides of your bowl as you go. You will likely need to add a 5th cup of flour before you can handle the bread on a floured surface. Knead for several minutes, then place your dough back in your mixer bowl and cover for 1 hour until doubled in size. Set the bowl in a warm place, such as a barely-warm oven, for rising.
3. Punch the dough and divide in half. Pinch off seven equal parts of dough from each loaf and roll until the top is smooth . Place the rolls in a 9” round greased cake pan with the 7th roll in the middle as pictured. Cover both pans and allow to rise again until doubled, in a warm spot, for 1 hour.
4. Mix the 3rd egg and 2 tbsp. water (you won’t actually need much) and brush the mixture on each roll. Place both pans in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Bread should be a rich golden brown when done. Allow to cool about 5 minutes before removing. Enjoy!