- 2 quart(s) water
- 2 tbsp(s) salt
- 6 lb(s) apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2 quart(s) apple cider
- 3 1/2 - 4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tsp(s) freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp(s) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp(s) ground allspice
- pinch(s) of ground nutmeg
Tips and Suggestions
For canning: Pour into hot jars, adjust the lids and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
1. Combine water and salt. Add apples, then drain, but do not rinse the apple slices.
2. Process in a food processor until the apple slices turn to pulp. There should be about 2 quarts of pulp and juice.
3. Combine the pulp and juice with the cider in a large baking dish. Place in a 350-degree oven and let it simmer about 3-3 ½ hours, stirring thoroughly every half hour, until the mixture is cooked down to about half and is thick and mushy.
4. Return mixture to food processor and blend until smooth.
5. Combine sugar and spices, add to the apple butter and return to the oven. Continue simmering for approximately 1 ½ hours until most of the liquid is gone, stirring every 30 minutes.