- 1 small oval or bread loaf pan
- 1 (6 oz) can(s) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1/2 of a 4 oz can(s) green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 of a 14 oz can(s) pinto beans or black beans
- 1/2 cup(s) mild or medium salsa
- 1/4 tsp(s) cumin
- 1/4 tsp(s) oregano
- 2 cup(s) hearty, thick, low sodium tortilla corn chips
- 1/3 cup(s) sour cream
- 1 cup(s) shredded mexican cheese
- 1 tbsp(s) cilantro, minced
- Pam or cooking oil spray
Tips and Suggestions
You can make the tomato-bean mix ahead of time but don't assemble with the chips until you are ready to bake. This casserole holds a better texture with thicker chips and the less salty the chip the better (IMO)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your canned oil in your baking dish and set aside.
Combine all ingredients--not including the toppings--in a bowl. Pour half into your baking dish and add 1 cup of broken (but not crumbled) tortilla chips. Add half the sour cream in small dollops onto the chips. Cover with half the cheese.
Repeat the process.
Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Serve hot topped with cilantro.