- approx 5 small to medium ripe plums (though not over-ripe, pitted and sliced into thin wedges)
- 1 stick(s) unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp(s) vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp(s) sour cream
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1 tsp(s) finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 tsp(s) baking powder
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 4 tbsp(s) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 tsp(s) cinnamon
1. In a mixer bowl (use your KitchenAid if you have one), cream the butter, sugar, vanilla, egg, lemon rind, sour cream and salt.
2. Mix the flour and baking powder, and add that to the mixture.
3. Grease and flour an 8 X 8 glass dish and spread the dough over the bottom. It will be sticky to work with,
4. Lay the plums generously and evenly, side by side, row by row, over the dough.
5. Cream the 4 Tbsp. butter and add the sugars, cinnamon and flour. Mix until combined and "crumble" with fingers over the top of the plums.
6. Check the cake in your 375 degree oven after 35 minutes. Pick up and look at the bottom. The middle will be the last to cook. I found 40 minutes to work well, but this will vary from oven to oven.
7. Allow to cool several minutes before slicing and serve with a dollop of whipped topping or a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Allow to completely cool before refrigeration.