- 2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves (about 2 packed cups)
- 1/4 cup(s) pine nuts
- 2 clove(s) garlic, pressed or minced
- 2/3 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil + enough to cover top of pesto, if freezing
- 1/2 cup(s) finely-grated Parmesan reggiano cheese
- 1 tsp(s) salt
Tips and Suggestions
Substitute 1/3 cup macadamia nuts for the usual pine nuts for something different!
1. Add pine nuts and garlic to a food processor. Pulse several times, then add basil. Pulse until all combined and well chopped.
2. Slowly add olive oil. Stop halfway and scrape sides. Continue until you have added all of the oil.
3. Add cheese and salt, then pulse a couple of times.
4. It's ready to use. If storing, place in air-tight container and add enough oil to cover top. Place in fridge for a couple of weeks or in freezer for several months.