- 6 oz favorite long pasta such as spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine
- 3/4 lb(s) or about 12 ounces of favorite small mushrooms or mix of, thinly sliced
- 1 + 1 tbsp(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp(s) butter
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 small spigs of thyme, leaves removed from stem or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/4 cup(s) marsala wine
- 1 tbsp(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup(s) parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh parsley chopped (OPTIONAL)
- pref salt and pepper (1 tsp salt is what I use)
Tips and Suggestions
Have some extra veggie stock? Pour into ice cubes and freeze. Each cube is equivalent to 2 TBL of melted stock.
Prepare a salted pot of water to boil for pasta.
Meantime, place a medium pan over medium to medium high heat and add 1 TBL oil and butter. Add the mushrooms evenly and allow to cook about 5 minutes undisturbed.
Meantime, prepare your shallot, garlic and thyme. Add the pasta to the boiling water.
Stir your mushrooms and allow an additional minute or 2 before adding in the marsala wine. Cook about 2 minutes then add the shallot, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook several more minutes,
In your pan, push the mushroom mix to the side and whisk 1 TBL oil and 1 TBL flour in your pan to create your roux, about a minute. Slowly add the stock then gently mix all together. Once you have a gentle boil, add the parmesan and cook til all combined.
With tongs, transfer your cooked pasta to the mushroom masala. Stir gently to coat. If a bit thick, add a little of the pasta water to break up the sauce. Add some fresh chopped italian parsley and dish up!