- 1 tbsp(s) olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 (14oz) can(s) diced Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup(s) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp(s) dried basil
- 1 tsp(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup(s) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) part skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cup(s) orecchiette pasta OR 6 ounces of dried lasagna noodles, broken up into thirds and cooked
- 2 tbsp(s) Italian parsley, chopped (dried parsley works here too)
Tips and Suggestions
Add some cooked diced Italian sausage, if desired.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onions and zucchini. Cook to soften, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and mushroom and cook another minute.
Stir in the diced tomato, tomato sauce and seasonings (except the parsley) and simmer about 5 minutes.
Meantime, cook the orecchiette according to the package minus about a minute so the pasta is al dente. Add the cooked pasta into the skillet of simmering tomato and stir until just combined.
Add the ricotta cheese by spoonfuls, then both cheese. Allow to simmer about 2 minutes, then very gently stir in parsley.
Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmesan on top.