- 1 1/2 cup(s) dried cheese tortellini
- 1-2 links of vegan Italian sausage by Fieldcrest or any pork sausage to make this non-vegetarian
- 1/2 cup(s) red onion, finely diced (about 1/2 of a medium onion)
- 1 clove(s) garlic, pressed
- 2 cup(s) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can(s) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup(s) prepared creamy tomato soup (using either a boxed soup or condensed soup that is prepared according to can instructions)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp(s) sugar
- 1 pinch(s) dried red chili peppers
- 1/2 tsp(s) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp(s) kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp(s) italian seasoning
- 2 handful(s) fresh baby spinach
- grated fresh Parmesan as a garnish (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe is very good using Trader Joes's Creamy Tomato Boxed Soup . Most grocery stores carry a good quality pre-packaged tomato soup in either preference.
If preparing this dish using pork sausage instead of veggie sausage, crumble sausage in a medium-sized pot with a spatula over medium heat until completely browned. Remove from heat and add onion, turning down heat a bit and cooking for 5 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
If using the vegetarian Italian sausage, cut the link(s) into quarters and roughly dice. Set aside. Add about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to a medium-sized pot and heat over medium-low. Add onion and allow to saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Transfer to a slow cooker. Add tomatoes, stock, prepared tomato soup and all the seasonings. Cook on low for 6 hours. Add tortellini and spinach in the last hour of cooking. Top with a little Parmesan cheese.