- 1- 2 quart(s) Crock Pot
- 1/2 cup(s) rinsed brown lentils
- 1- 14 oz can of vegetable stock
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, halved and diced
- 1/4 of a small red onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini halved, quartered and diced
- 1/2 tsp(s) cumin
- 1/2 tsp(s) dried thyme
- 2 tsp(s) balsamic vinegar added just before serving
- salt and pepper to taste before serving
Tips and Suggestions
Salt will slow the cooking time for lentils. If making this dish quickly on the stove top (about 30 min), add salt before serving.
You can add 1/2 of a small potato, cubed for a heartier soup.
Lentils can be soaked in warm water overnight which aids in greater nutritional value.
Combine all ingredients except vinegar, salt and pepper to your 2-quart Crock Pot. Turn to low setting and allow to cook for 6-8 hours. Add vinegar, salt and pepper a few minutes before serving.
Serve as soup or spoon onto steamed rice to create a perfect protein vegan dish.