- 1/2 cup(s) butter
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup(s) molasses
- 1 tsp(s) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp(s) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp(s) baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
Tips and Suggestions
These are excellent make-ahead cookies. If tightly wrapped, the dough will keep in the refrigerator for three day and up to six months in the freezer. Just cut off a slice while still frozen and bake it.
1. With an electric mixer beat butter until creamy and fluffy.
2. Add brown sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda to butter mixture. Beat until combined.
3. Beat in egg.
4. Add flour a little at a time.
5. Cover and chill dough at least 1 hour or until easy to handle.
6. Place chilled dough on a piece of wax paper. Use the wax paper to form a cookie dough log approximately 2 1/2 - 3 inches in diameter.
7. Place in freezer until cookie dough is firm.
8. Remove from freezer and slice into 1/4 inch slices.
9. Bake at 375 degrees until edges are just firm and bottom is lightly browned. Do not over bake or cookies will be hard. Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute then place on wire rack to cool.